Saturday, September 5, 2009

Sweden Sustainability

I am still adjusting to the fact that I now live in Sweden. It is a wonderfully easy place to settle into... in the turn of autumn. Living by the Baltic Sea brings a nice crisp maritime breeze and the trees and plants seem to be initiating that fall shift. I am in utter delight strolling the streets and woodland trail systems, riding bike paths and neighborhoods to find so much fruit growing- overflowing, from people's yards and along by ways. There are apples, plums, pears, elderberries, blackberries, currants, grapes and rose-hips! I have been busy picking and trying to think ahead for some food procurement for this coming winter. I just finished an elderberry cordial and packed the freezer shelf with big ol blackberries. Next on my list is to get the low-down on where to find the chanterelle mushrooms?
My profession is gardening, so I notice a lot of detail in people's yards. These small Sweden yards are quit impressive...
It makes me wonder- Why Isn't Edible Gardening/Landscaping More Popular in the US? It is not hard or difficult- just societal norm that drives the difference between these sustainable yards to the ones I am more used to in the States.






Learn How to Build a Green Roof Like this One

And visit these sites to learn more about making Green Roofs:

The Living Roof; California Academy for Science
How To Build a LivingRoof
Building a Roof Garden

No comments:

Post a Comment